Last Updated on November 9, 2023 by Timothy Byron Smith
Nespresso machines aren’t just for coffee lovers anymore; they can also provide hot water for tea and other hot beverages. While the process differs slightly between Original and Vertuo machines, both can dispense hot water at temperatures between 170 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
To avoid coffee residue in the hot water, simply run the machine without a capsule for a few seconds after brewing coffee. With this convenient feature, your Nespresso machine becomes a versatile tool for crafting a variety of hot drinks.
In this guide, we’ll explore how to get hot water from Nespresso for tea, for any model you have, Nespresso Original or Vertuo.
Can You Put Hot Water in Nespresso?
Yes, you can use warm water for Nespresso. However, it is recommended to use water that is between 190-205°F (88-96°C) for the best results. If the water is too hot or too cold, it can affect the taste of your coffee. Also, make sure to use fresh and clean water for each cup.
Can Nespresso Make Hot Water?
Whether Nespresso will make hot water for you or not ultimately depends on the model of the Nespresso machine you use. Nespresso machines come under two separate lines: OriginalLine and VertuoLine. While both of these machines make outstanding and popular types of espresso drinks, getting plain water can be tricky.
For the OriginalLine Nespresso machines water is heated to the temperature of 83 to 86 degrees. For the VertuoLine, however, it is heated to about 78 degrees, according to Nespresso. So, can you extract this water without the coffee in it? With the OriginalLine machine, it is fairly simple to get hot water. However, it is a bit complex with a VertuoLine model.
How Can You Extract Hot Water From Nespresso OriginalLine Models?
If you have any of the OriginalLine Nespresso machines then getting hot water will be a piece of cake! Simply follow the super simple and easy steps below. Moreover, these steps will remain the same for all OriginalLine models: CitiZ, Essenza, Inissia, Lattissima, Pixie, and Creatista.
- Open the machine lever and eject any capsule from it
- Close the machine without replacing the pod or capsule. There should be no pod inside it
- Place the cup under the spout and select the Lungo button
- 3.7 ounces of hot water will pour into your cup
If your machine is not descaled then the water may have a brown tint, coffee residuals, and coffee flavor to it. Make sure you have descaled the machine to get clean hot water. What you can do for a quick fix is to brew hot water a number of times without a capsule to make sure it’s clean. Plus, running the machine a couple of times will also make sure you get super hot water.
Can You Get Hot Water From a Nespresso Vertuo Machine?
Unlike the OriginalLine machines, Nespresso Vertuo models work on a unique centrifugation technology. This means the machine scans barcodes on pods or capsules before determining the amount of water that will be needed.
While this helps immensely in brewing the perfectly proportioned coffee, it also means that without putting in capsules and pods the machine won’t dispense any water. However, don’t sigh in defeat so soon! There are a few (although complex) ways to get past this obstacle.
The procedure to get hot water differs for VertuoLine machines. Here are a few ways you can get hot water from Nespresso VertuoLine machines.
1. Procedure to Get Hot Water From Nespresso Vertuo, Vertuo Next, or Evoluo
Follow this step-by-step guide to get hot water for any other purpose from Nespresso Vertuo, Vertuo Next, and Evoluo. Read the steps carefully and do not try to use them on any other model.
- Remove the water reservoir, clean it, and fill it with fresh drinking water. Place the reservoir back on the machine and secure it in place.
- Under the spout, place a large container to collect your water in.
- Remove or eject any capsules or pods that might be in the machine already.
- Turn on the Nespresso machine and put the lever in the lock position.
- Within two seconds of this, press down on the brew button 3 times quickly.
- Wait two minutes and the water will start flowing into your cup and you will notice an orange light blinking.
- Depending on the machine the water can flow from 2 to 5 minutes.
- When you have enough water in your cup, press the brew button once to stop it.
- If you find the water to be dirty or containing residual coffee, do this procedure 4 to 6 times till you get clean water.
2. Procedure to Get Hot Water From Nespresso Vertuo Plus
Perhaps this can be another way to determine which is a better coffee machine between Nespresso Vertuo vs Vertuo Plus. The following steps allow you to get hot water from Nespresso Vertuo Plus. They should only be performed on the Vertuo Plus machine. Read the steps carefully and follow them as it is.
- Remove the water reservoir and fill it with fresh drinking water. Place the reservoir back in place and secure it.
- Place a large container to collect your water under the spout.
- Check the machine for any capsules and pods. Make sure you have ejected them before you turn on the machine.
- Turn on the Nespresso machine.
- Within two seconds of turning on the machine, you need to press the button for brewing three times fast.
- As the water begins to flow an orange light will start blinking. Remember this as a possibility the next time you are wondering why is my Nespresso blinking orange?
- When you have acquired the required amount of water press down the brew button once and the water will stop pouring.
- If the water you obtained is unclean, repeat these steps 4 to 6 times till you get clean water in your container.
3. Procedure to Get Hot Water From Nespresso Essenza Mini
Nespresso Essenza Mini can also supply just water if you need it. Here is how you can operate the machine to collect hot water. Follow the steps carefully.
- Remove the water reservoir and rinse it with clean water.
- Fill the water reservoir with fresh clean water and secure it in place on the machine.
- Place a large container or measuring cup to collect your water under the spout.
- Plug the machine into a socket and press the ON button to turn it on. You will notice lights blinking as the machine slowly turns on and heats up
- Eject any pod or capsule inside the machine. Make sure to close the lever.
- Push the Lungo button to get hot water.
- If the water is unclean, repeat this procedure a couple of times to get clean water.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Nespresso make tea pods?
Nespresso makes exceptional and top-quality coffee and espresso pods. However, Nespresso is not known to produce tea pods yet. The brand is focused solely on creating the best coffee experience for its coffee lovers.
2. Why is the Nespresso machine not heating water?
If your Nespresso machine is clean and still not heating water it means the pressure inside the machine is too low. Brew five cups of coffee without the capsules or pods in order to fix the pressure. If this doesn’t solve the problem you will need to reset Nespresso machine.
3. Is the hot water from a Nespresso machine suitable for making tea?
Yes, the hot water from a Nespresso machine is suitable for making tea. The temperature is ideal for extracting the flavor from the tea leaves.
4. What is the difference between pressing the lungo button and the espresso button for hot water?
The lungo button dispenses a larger volume of hot water than the espresso button.
5. Can I adjust the volume of hot water dispensed from an Original Nespresso machine?
No, you cannot adjust the volume of hot water dispensed from an Original Nespresso machine.
The gist of the matter ‘can Nespresso make hot water?’ can be summed up in a big fat YES! However, is it easy or difficult, this depends on the model you use: OriginalLine or VertuoLine. OriginalLines don’t trouble you a lot and readily dispense hot water however you will need to be more clever with Vertuoline machines.
Hopefully, the procedures we have listed above will help you get hot water from your Nespresso machine easily. Don’t forget to clean the machine. Not only will it give you clean hot water but your coffee will also taste extra delicious!