Last Updated on October 12, 2022 by Timothy Byron Smith
The Red Espresso is readily taking over the world and coffee lovers’ hearts worldwide. Still, many have yet to try it. It’s an espresso without caffeine but will hit you just the same. Eager to know what a red espresso is? We’ll do you one better and teach you how to make a red espresso as well!
This beverage has made coffee history by bagging the ‘Best Speciality Beverage’ Award. So, it’s safe to say this drink is brewed to impress. Originating from the faraway land of South Africa, it’s taking roots everywhere! Your heart might just be the next stop.
What is a Red Espresso?
The red espresso is made purely from Rooibos (pronounced as ray-boos) which is a South African tea. Although there is no coffee involved, the red espresso still tastes very different from tea and is just as intense as an actual espresso.
To use Rooibos as coffee grounds, it is precisely ground to a very fine consistency. This allows it to produce intensely concentrated shots of red espresso. It is important to emphasize that red espresso does not taste like tea at all. It is the exotic combination of two different drinking cultures: tea and espresso.
Finally, rooibos is also packed with healthy elements and antioxidants. So, where on the one hand the lack of caffeine will keep you healthy. You will enjoy additional health benefits because of the antioxidants on the other hand as well!
How to Make a Red Espresso?
As exotic as this beverage sounds, you will be surprised to know that you can VERY EASILY make it! Yes, there is nothing unattainable or unmakeable about it. All you need to do is order your red espresso coffee or get it from the store yourself.
This beverage requires no unique equipment. Be it an espresso machine, a Nespresso, a drip filter machine, etc. You can easily brew it with any coffee appliance. We’ll guide you how to make it in an espresso machine and a french press.
How to Make Red Espresso in a French Press?
If you own a french press you can easily brew shots of red espresso anytime with your rooibos ground coffee. Follow the steps to enjoy the exotic flavors of the red espresso.
- Make sure your espresso is clean. A clean coffee maker makes the best coffee.
- You need to scoop 14 grams (two tablespoons) of rooibos espresso per cup. So, depending on the cups you want to brew, add the ground rooibos.
- You can add some more red espresso if you wish to adjust the strength of the beverage.
- Fill the french press cylinder with hot water (just below the boiling point).
- Stir the mixture gently.
- Set the plunger down on the cylinder. Don’t push down so you retain the heat.
- All the red espresso to brew for about 3 minutes.
- Begin to press down the plunger gradually and slowly.
And voila! Once your red espresso is ready, get your best coffee mug out, pour, and enjoy.
How to Make Red Espresso in an Espresso Machine?
Most coffee lovers tend to own a personal espresso machine. And this particular piece of equipment is known to produce the best espresso. So, why not use it to brew the best red espresso. Efficiently and quickly!
So, prepare your espresso machine and start following these steps to brew the unusual red espresso.
- To make red espresso in your espresso machine you will need a double filter basket for your portafilter.
- Add 14 grams of red espresso to the portafilter.
- Lock the portafilter back in its place on the espresso machine and choose your shot.
- Once the red espresso is ready, you will see the captivating red-colored liquid pouring out of the spout and into your cup. Get ready to watch magic topped with beautiful and rich crema!
Lastly, if you wish to explore your lattes and cappuccinos with the red espresso we encourage the adventurous spirit! By all means, you will definitely taste a whole new world of textures and flavors of coffee.
How much caffeine does red espresso have?
None, nada. Red espresso despite being called ‘espresso’ has no caffeine content. This is because it is made from ground tea called rooibos which is naturally free of caffeine. So, you can enjoy as much of it as you like without any adverse reactions to your body.
How to make red espresso?
Save for super-automatic espresso machines and bean-to-cup machines, you can make red espresso with any coffee appliance and equipment.
What is a red cappuccino?
Red cappuccino is basically a cappuccino made from red espresso and not the usual espresso. It is actually red-ish in color and is topped with steamed and frothed milk.
Our Last 2 Cents
Red espresso can come off as a horror to some. While for others it is definitely an intriguing beverage and begs to be experienced. Regardless, of whether you plan to learn how to make red espresso or not, we insist that you at least try it once in your life! You definitely don’t want to be the only one who hasn’t.
Plus, with its unique and exotic blend of flavors that very few taste buds have got to experience, you never know. You might end up loving it a lot!