Last Updated on June 2, 2023 by Timothy Byron Smith
Descaling your Nespresso machine is an essential maintenance step to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. However, sometimes users encounter difficulties in exiting the descaling mode.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of exiting descaling mode for different Nespresso models, including Vertuo Plus, Vertuo, Evoluo, Essenza Mini, CitiZ, Pixie, and Inissia. We will also discuss the top reasons why your Nespresso machine may get stuck in descaling mode and provide additional tips to troubleshoot the issue effectively.
How to Exit Descale Mode for Vertuo Plus, Vertuo, and Evoluo
If you own a Vertuo Plus, Vertuo, or Evoluo Nespresso machine, follow these steps to exit the descaling mode:
- Vertuo Plus: Press and hold the button and the level down together for three seconds, then release. The light should turn solid green.
- Vertuo and Evoluo: Once the rinse cycle is complete, press and hold the button for seven seconds. The light will turn steady. Allow the machine to sit for 10 minutes before using it.
Exit Descaling for Essenza Mini, CitiZ, Pixie, and Inissia
For owners of Essenza Mini, CitiZ, Pixie, or Inissia Nespresso machines, use the following steps to exit the descaling mode:
- Essenza Mini: Hold down the espresso and lungo buttons simultaneously for five seconds.
- CitiZ, Pixie, and Inissia: Hold down the espresso and lungo buttons together for three seconds. Release the buttons, and the lights will eventually turn steady (this may take up to 25 seconds on some models).
It’s important to follow these specific instructions for your Nespresso model to successfully exit the descaling mode.
Top Reasons Why Your Nespresso Is Stuck In Descaling Mode
Understanding the reasons behind your Nespresso machine getting stuck in descaling mode can help you address the issue effectively. Here are the top reasons to consider:
1. The Water Tank Did Not Completely Empty During the Descale or Rinse Cycle
One common reason for the descaling mode not exiting is an incomplete emptying of the water tank during the descale or rinse cycle. If the tank is overfilled or if the process is interrupted before the tank fully empties, the descaling alert may not reset. It is crucial to ensure that the tank completely empties during each cycle to successfully exit the descaling mode.
If the tank didn’t empty during the rinse cycle but did during the descale cycle, you’ll need to repeat the process. However, instead of adding more descaling solution, you can use a reservoir filled with water only. This allows you to go through all the steps without wasting a descaling packet. If completed correctly this time, the descaling alert will turn off, and your Nespresso machine will exit the descaling mode.
2. Too Much Time Passed Between Steps in the Descaling Process
Another common issue is not advancing to the next step within the specified time during the descaling process, particularly with Nespresso Vertuo machines. After entering the descaling mode by holding the button for seven seconds, these models provide a limited time to complete the necessary actions.
For example, on Vertuo Plus, after the orange light turns on, you must press the lever down once within the next two minutes to initiate the descaling process. Failing to do so will result in the machine exiting the cleaning mode and the descaling alert reappearing. It is crucial to pay attention to the specified timeframes and complete each step promptly to successfully exit the descaling mode.
Other Tips to Try If Your Nespresso Is Stuck In Descaling Mode
If you have followed the instructions but your Nespresso machine remains stuck in descaling mode, there are a few additional tips to consider:
- Perform a Factory Reset: A factory reset can help resolve persistent issues. The steps to perform a reset may vary by model, so consult your Nespresso machine’s user manual or visit the Nespresso website for precise instructions.
- Contact Customer Support: If all else fails, reaching out to Nespresso’s customer support can provide further assistance and guidance in resolving the descaling mode issue.
Remember, it is crucial to follow the specific instructions for your Nespresso model to ensure successful exit from the descaling mode.
Exiting the Nespresso descaling mode is an essential process to maintain the performance and longevity of your machine. By following the correct steps for your specific Nespresso model, such as Vertuo Plus, Vertuo, Evoluo, Essenza Mini, CitiZ, Pixie, or Inissia, you can easily exit the descaling mode and enjoy a seamless coffee experience.
If you encounter any difficulties, make sure to double-check that the water tank fully empties during the descale and rinse cycles and that you complete each step within the specified timeframes. Additionally, exploring other troubleshooting options, such as performing a factory reset or contacting customer support, can help resolve persistent issues.
Remember, proper descaling maintenance ensures the optimal performance and longevity of your Nespresso machine, allowing you to enjoy your favorite coffee flavors for years to come.
A blogger and coffee Nomad, who loves to explore new coffee recipes and enjoy content writing. I like to share my experience and what I have learned through my blogs, social media, and forums.