Last Updated on September 24, 2023 by Timothy Byron Smith
Is your coffee suddenly tasting very weird? This is a hint by your Nespresso coffee machine that it needs cleaning. However, it can be a bit tricky to conduct the descaling process for the first time. Don’t worry here is how to descale Nespresso Vertuo Next in a few easy steps.
Nespresso coffee machines are one of a kind and a favorite option for many coffee lovers worldwide! What makes them super-amazing is you don’t have to constantly keep a check on when your Nespresso needs a good cleaning or descaling.
Most Nespresso machines have a built-in system that will notify you when the machine needs descaling. So, if your Nespresso is demanding a cleaning, that’s exactly what we are about to discuss.
In this guide, we will be looking at:
- How to Clean Nespresso Vertuo Next
- How to Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next
- How to Empty Nespresso Vertuo Next
Here is everything you will need for a fine descaling of your Nespresso machine:
- A container with a capacity of 21 ounces
- Nespresso descaling agent
- 17 ounces of water to use with the descaling agent
- 17 ounces of water to rinse through the machine
1. How to Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next? (Step by Step Walk Through)
This step-by-step guide will make descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next the easiest thing for you to do! It may appear a daunting task at first but with this guide, you’ll get through Nespresso Vertuo Next descaling process without any frustration.
1. Empty the drip tray and the capsule container.
2. Fill the water tank with 1 unit of Nespresso descaling liquid and add 0.5 liters of water.
3. Close the lid and lock the liver (if the liver is already locked, press the button to turn the machine on).
4. Now wait for the machine to complete the heating process (the button light will start blinking during this process).
5. Open the machine lid and empty the capsule.
6. Close the lid and leave the liver in the unlocked position.
7. To enter the descaling mode, hold the button for at least 7 seconds (The coffee button will start blinking rapidly. You now have 45 seconds to enter the descaling mode).
8. Lock the machine by turning the liver to the left and then unlock it by turning it to the right.
9. Press and hold the coffee button for at least 7 seconds.
10. Place a 1-liter container under the coffee outlet.
11. Lock the machine by turning the liver left, and push on the coffee button.
12. Now wait for the machine to complete the 1st phase of descaling.
13. Empty and rinse the water tank and drip tray.
14. Fill the water tank again with fresh drinking water and put it back in place.
15. Push the coffee button to rinse the machine.
16. Wait for the machine to complete the procedure. The button’s light will stop blinking rapidly and become steady.
The Nespresso Vertuo Next descaling process is now complete. Remember before using the machine again let it dry for at least 10 minutes.
2. How to Clean Nespresso Vertuo Next – Guide with Pictures
Follow these steps to easily clean Nespresso Vertuo Next:
1. Rinse and clean the water tank and the lid.
2. Fill the tank with fresh drinking water and put it back in place.
3. Place the 1-liter container under the coffee outlet.
4. Eject the empty capsule from the machine.
5. Empty and rinse the capsule container and the drip tray (make sure no capsule is present in the machine).
6. Close the lid and turn the liver left to put it in the locked position.
7. The top button will start blinking (Wait for approximately 30 seconds while the machine is heating up).
8. Press the coffee button 3 times within 2 seconds to start the cleaning process.
9. It will take 2 minutes before the water begins to flow from the coffee outlet.
10. A steady light will appear after approximately 7 minutes, once the cleaning is done.
Note: You can stop the cleaning process anytime by pressing the button.
3. How to Empty Nespresso Vertuo Next (Complete Process with Pictures)
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to empty a Nespresso Vertuo Next espresso machine:
1. Empty the water tank, put it back in place, and unplug the power cord.
2. Open the machine lid and eject the used capsule.
3. Empty the capsule container, the drip tray, and the cup support.
4. Place the container under the coffee outlet.
5. Close the lid and lock the liver.
6. Push and hold the button while plugging the cord into the power outlet.
It will take approximately 30 seconds for the machine to complete the emptying process. The machine turns off automatically when it is empty.
Why Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next with Vinegar is a Bad Idea?
There are varying opinions on the use of vinegar as a descaling agent. While some believe it is a very convenient, affordable, and safe method to descale a Nespresso machine, others think it has damaging properties. Plus, the vinegary aftertaste is just as bad (if not worse) as getting Nespresso tastes burnt.
However, since it is widely available and found in almost every household kitchen, it is frequently used to descale many appliances. Remember, White vinegar should not be used to descale any Nespresso machine, according to Nespresso, as it could cause harm to the machine and may also void the warranty. Moreover, using vinegar to descale a Nespresso machine may leave the appliance with an unpleasant vinegary flavor and odor.
Troubles in Exiting the Descaling Mode in Nespresso Vertuo Next?
Turning off the descaling mode of your Nespresso Vertuo Next is not as big a hassle as it seems. It’s just about the right pauses and pressing the buttons at the right time.
All you have to do is press down on the power button for seven seconds. Wait for the blinking light to get stable. Once this happens, you have successfully exited the descaling mode. It is literally THAT simple.
Wait for ten to fifteen minutes before starting your next round of coffee brewing.
How do You Know When to Descale the Nespresso Vertuo Next?
The best thing about the Nespresso Vertuo espresso machines is that you don’t have to keep a check on the descaling routine. Your machine will alert you when there are a lot of minerals building up and it requires cleaning.
Moreover, Nespresso officially advises to properly descale Nespresso Vertuo Next machine after every 3 months of intensive use, rather than waiting for the machine to notify a maintenance issue.
If the light on the Nespresso power button starts blinking orange and then turns white, that is your cue to gather the cleaning tools and properly descale your Nespresso Vertuo Next ASAP.
Expert Tips to Keep in Mind
Keep the following tips in mind before you begin the descaling process of your Nespresso Vertuo Next.
- Nespresso suggests a descaling cycle every 3 months or every 300 capsules brewed, depending on the intensity of usage.
- Nespresso recommends the descaling be done using the Nespresso descaling kit. It includes the descaling agent.
- Using other substances such as vinegar can damage the machine and is thus not recommended.
- The Nespresso descaling agent can cause damage or discoloration to surfaces. Make sure to place something underneath the machine before beginning the descaling process in case of spills. If a spill does occur, rinse and clean immediately.
- Keep children out of reach of the descaling agent.
- If the descaling agent comes into contact with the eye, rinse with water for 15 minutes and visit a doctor.
- Do not swallow or taste the descaling agent.
- Don’t fill up the water tank during the descaling process.
- Give the Nespresso machine a clean sweep with a damp cloth after descaling.
Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next: FAQs
Now that you know the simple and easy answer to ‘how to descale Nespresso Vertuo Next?’ descaling will become very convenient and you can drink the perfect cup of coffee every day with your Nespresso machine.
So, if you wish to never compromise on your standard of coffee, you shall never compromise on the descaling either. Plus, with our simple and easy-to-follow steps, descaling will no longer be a bother!
We advise visiting the official Nespresso machine maintenance website and choosing your Nespresso model if further help is needed.
Tim is the author and webmaster of this blog. He is a coffee aficionado who has always strived to succeed by simplifying the many facets of the coffee business into engaging and informative writing. In addition to helping readers discover their next brew, he intends to educate them about espresso and coffee.