Last Updated on April 1, 2023 by Timothy Byron Smith
When the red and yellow light on your Nespresso VertuoPlus machine is half-lit, it’s time to descale your Nespresso. This happens because minerals from the coffee brewing process had build up inside your machine over time.
Descaling helps remove those minerals as well as clean your Nespresso machine. If you don’t descale your machine, it can affect the taste and temperature of your coffee, as well as the water flow of the machine. So, if your Nespresso machine isn’t pumping water, it’s most likely due to this mineral buildup.
In this article, we will discuss How to resolve Nespresso VertuoPlus Half Red And Half Yellow Light issue? Follow along for step-by-step instructions specifically for Descaling VertuoPlus Nespresso Machine.
What Does Nespresso VertuoPlus Half Red And Half Yellow Light Mean?
If you see a yellow light on your Nespresso machine, it could mean that you need to descale it, restore it to factory settings, or clean it. The action you need to take will depend on the flashing rate and the model of your machine.
For Nespresso VertuoPlus, you will get a steady half red and half yellow light to indicate that it’s time to start the descaling process.
How To Descale Nespresso VertuoPlus?
To fix the Nespresso VertuoPlus Half Red And Half Yellow Light issue, descale it. For doing so, you’ll need 1 packet of the descaling solution and a 1-liter container.
Additionally, your user manual contains instructions on how to descale using a solution kit. If you want a visual guide for descaling your Nespresso VertuoPlus, check out pages 21-23 in the user manual, which have illustrated step-by-step instructions.
Here is a descriptive version of the steps for descaling your Nespresso VertuoPlus machine:
- Press the coffee button to turn on your machine.
- Lift the machine head to eject the used capsule from the previous brew.
- Gently lower the machine head.
- Turn off the machine by pushing the lever down for 3 seconds, and then empty the cup support and capsule container.
- Add the descaling solution and water to the tank as instructed on your kit. For the Nespresso Descaler, use one packet and 0.5L of water. Be careful not to add too much water, as this will make the solution too weak.
- Press and hold both the lever and button simultaneously for 3 seconds until an orange steady light appears, indicating that you’ve entered the “Special Functions” menu.
- Press the lever once to enter descaling mode.
- Place a container on the drip tray to catch the descaling solution.
- Push the button to start the descaling process. The orange light will blink throughout the process, and the machine will stop automatically once the descaling is complete.
- Empty and rinse the water tank and cup support. Refill the tank with fresh water and put it back.
- Push the button again to start the rinse cycle. The machine will stop automatically when the tank is empty. Don’t stop the rinse cycle early.
- Press and hold the button and lever down for 3 seconds to exit the descaling mode. The light should turn green now.
- Let the machine sit and dry for 10 minutes before using it.
Note: It’s important to note that you must complete each step within 2 minutes of the previous one. If you take longer than 2 minutes, your VertuoPlus machine will exit descale mode.
Best Descalers For Nespresso VertuoPlus
Here are the most appropriate cleaning agents that you can use when descaling or cleaning your Nespresso VertuoPlus. Nespresso recommends using its official Descaling kits and avoiding vinegar or other substitutes.
1. Nespresso Descaling Solution
To descale your Nespresso machine, it’s recommended that you use the official Nespresso descaling solution kit. This kit contains lactic acid, which effectively removes the limescale that can accumulate in your machine over time. Each pack comes with 2 kits, allowing you to descale your machine twice. Nespresso strongly advises against using any other descaling solution.
Nespresso Descaling Solution
2. Caffenu Universal Descaling Solution
If you’re looking for an affordable descaler for your Nespresso machine, you might consider the Eco Descaler by Caffenu. Like the official Nespresso descaling solution, it uses lactic acid to remove lime scale buildup. Plus, it’s phosphate-free. Each pack comes with two bottles, which is enough for four uses, which means that one pack will last a year if you descale your Nespresso every 3 months.
Caffenu Universal Descaling Solution
If you see a steady red and yellow light on your Nespresso VertuoPlus, there’s no need to worry. It just means that your machine needs some maintenance. This might include descaling the machine, letting it dry down before making another cup, or cleaning out any leftover coffee grounds from the pod container.
Just follow the steps in this post to fix the Nespresso Vertuo Plus Half Red And Half Yellow Light issue.
Tim is the author and webmaster of this blog. He is a coffee aficionado who has always strived to succeed by simplifying the many facets of the coffee business into engaging and informative writing. In addition to helping readers discover their next brew, he intends to educate them about espresso and coffee.